If you are unfamiliar with this book, you can read my review, with excerpt, here.
The TL;DR version of the review is:
Halfway through The Wurms of Blearmouth by Steven Erikson, I still had no idea what was going on. But, as a rare exception, that didn’t matter thanks to wonderfully weird characters that kept me engaged, and dark events peppered with bizarre humour that made me laugh and ask, “What is going on here?!” Of course, there is also Erikson’s writing style
If you enjoy something that is both grounded and at the same time wonderfully weird; if you like your dark tales mixed with humour, I do recommend The Wurms of Blearmouth, even if newcomers to this world are left with a slight disadvantage. Erikson’s writing style makes up for the disadvantage of not being familiar with the world or its long established characters.
If you are already a fan of The Malazan Book of the Fallen fantasy series and A Malazan Tale of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach series of novellas, I think it is pretty safe to recommend you also read The Wurms of Blearmouth.
Now, the giveaway:
- Open to U.S. residents only.
- Leave a comment. Optionally, to make it more interesting, tell me the following: What is your favourite fantasy realm/location/world?
- Only one comment per person. Leaving multiple comments will disqualify you. When leaving a comment, please use a valid e-mail address so that I can notify you if you win.
- You have until Wednesday, July 30, 2014 at 23:59 PDT to leave a comment. At that time, I’ll use a random number generator to select three winners. The winners will be notified by e-mail on Thursday, July 31, 2014. The winners will be announced in the comments of this post on Thursday, July 31, 2014 before 16:00 PDT.
- If you have any questions, please e-mail me.