If you like songs about Star Trek, Star Wars, Calvin & Hobbes, The Muppets, and Jessica Rabbit, then you’ll want a copy of Crossing the Streams by Copy Red Leader. If this sounds like it could be your jam, I have three copies to give away.
Following the same sound styles, Crossing the Streams has a wide variety of musical styles for you to enjoy, including funk, bluegrass, rock, and folk. To make this album even more awesome, the title track includes two adorable children making some of the best geeky references to my childhood.
Crossing the Streams also includes four songs about Star Trek; four songs about Star Wars; one song about Calvin & Hobbes; one song about The Muppets: Pigs in Space; and a sultry jazz number sung by Jessica Rabbit. Plus, it includes a lovely instrumental to help you daydream and a song about not being Bon Jovi, yet still being awesome.
My two favourite things about Crossing the Streams are: 1) It contains so many different styles of music; and 2) The pure, unadulterated love for so many different things geek. Copy Red Leader is certainly not afraid to mix things up, and meld different areas of fandom together.
Here. Take a listen yourself:
So, how can you win one of three copies of Crossing the Streams?
- Leave a comment telling me the following: If you could have any two fandoms appear together in any form of media, what would they be and in what medium would you cross them? If two fandoms is not enough, feel free to list more.
- Only one comment per person. Leaving multiple comments will disqualify you. When leaving a comment, please use a valid e-mail address so that I can notify you if you win.
- You have until Tuesday, July 1, 2014 at 23:59 PST to leave a comment. At that time, I’ll use a random number generator to select three winners. Winners will be notified by e-mail on Wednesday, July 2, 2014. Winners will be announced in the comments of this post on Wednesday, July 2, 2014 before 16:00 PDT.
- If you have any questions, please e-mail me.
- CASL notice for Canadians entering the giveaway: By leaving a comment, you are giving me explicit permission to send you an e-mail notifying you that you’ve won, and to give you your download code.
Copy Red Leader is the geek rock duo of Leslie Hudson and Devin Melanson, based in the Toronto area. Together they flirt with the dark side of geek, playing everything from rock to blues, metal to bluegrass, funk to folk. Star Wars, Star Trek, The Princess Bride, comic books, sci-fi, speculative fiction, movies, pop culture… all have been assimilated.
They started off collaborating in a song writing challenge and produced a rock musical for The Princess Bride. They record in Devin’s home studio, and have an impressive tech-heavy live show setup. Though not a strict comedy act (they have beautiful and serious songs), their humour and musical chemistry shines through.
CRL is part of a collective of Canadian Geek Bands represented on the newly launched http://geekbands.ca/
CRL launched their new website on June 1st: http://copyredleader.com/
CRL previously released a sampler with fellow geek musician, Kari Maaren called “Pirate Elves In Space”. They included some of their Star Wars and Princess Bride tracks: http://pirate-elves-in-space.bandcamp.com/
Copy Red Leader have performed many local shows, including conventions like Anime North, and Filk Ontario. They are a fresh (and seemingly rare ‘Filk Rock’) addition to the local filk community, have won song writing contests and been invited to some of the cons as special guests. Things are starting to heat up, and the band has been invited to play at Confluence (Mars, PA) and Ohio Valley Filk Fest (OVFF, Worthington, Ohio).
Leslie & Devin have been nominated for a “Prix Aurora Award” (by the Canadian Science Fiction and Fantasy Association) alongside Kari Maaren for “Pirate Elves In Space” (Best Fan Music), and hope to lose to astronaut Chris Hadfield who is in the same category! J
Ode To Spot: