Sea Change is a dark, shocking, and visceral fantasy novel which explores themes of sex and gender. Sea Change has been described as, “fairy tale for adults whose darkness gives it beauty,” much like Pan’s Labyrinth.
The official synopsis reads:
The unhappy child of two powerful parents who despise each other, young Lilly turns to the ocean to find solace, which she finds in the form of the eloquent and intelligent sea monster Octavius, a kraken. In Octavius’s many arms, Lilly learns of friendship, loyalty, and family. When Octavius, forbidden by Lilly to harm humans, is captured by seafaring traders and sold to a circus, Lilly becomes his only hope for salvation. Desperate to find him, she strikes a bargain with a witch that carries a shocking price.
Her journey to win Octavius’s freedom is difficult. The circus master wants a Coat of Illusions; the Coat tailor wants her undead husband back from a witch; the witch wants her skin back from two bandits; the bandits just want some company, but they might kill her first. Lilly’s quest tests her resolve, tries her patience, and leaves her transformed in every way.
A powerfully written debut from a young fantasy author, S.M. Wheeler’s Sea Change is an exhilarating tale of adventure, resilience, and selflessness in the name of friendship.
Here is the promotional video:
I have three copies of this Sea Change to give away, courtesy of Tor Books.
- This giveaway is only open to residents of the United States and Canada.
- Leave a comment telling me your favourite fairy tale.
- Only one comment per person. Leaving multiple comments will disqualify you. When leaving a comment, please use a valid e-mail address so that I can notify you if you win.
- You have until Wednesday, July 10, 2013 at 23:59 PST to leave a comment. At that time, I’ll use a random number generator to select two winners. Winners will be notified by e-mail on Thursday, July 11, 2013. Winners will be announced on this website on Thursday, July 11, 2013 at 16:00 PDT.
- If you have any questions, please e-mail me.