GottaCon is an annual broad-spectrum gaming convention held the first weekend of February at Pearkes Arena in Victoria, British Columbia.
As already mentioned, I was the Special Events Coordinator for GottaCon 2013. Part of my role as Special Events Coordinator was to moderate the discussion panels.
The first panel was The Influence of D&D. It was held on February 2, 2013. Seated on the panel were Joanna Gaskell (Writer, producer and one of the stars of the web series Standard Action), Chris Pramas (Green Ronin Publishing), Alex Flagg (Crafty Games), and Douglas Lloyd (Blackbyrne Publishing).
The panel outline read: D&D has influenced not only tabletop RPGs, but also video games, television, web series, and more. Join us as we discuss how D&D has grown from a game that was once frowned upon, to one that influences many aspects of both geek and popular culture, and how it has influenced the lives of individuals.
Some of the questions asked during the panel were:
- How old were you when you first starting to play D&D, and what system did you first play?
- Any stigma you perceived at the time and how it has changed over the years.
- The influence of D&D in other gaming systems (both tabletop and electronic)
- The influence of D&D in pop-culture and television
- How D&D has influenced your own work
- The overall impact of D&D on your life
The panel, including Q&A, is just under 1 hour and 20 minutes. The file size is 72.7 MB. The file type is mp3, 128 kbps, 44.1 kHz, stereo.
You can download the panel here (right click, save as).
Alternatively, you can stream it below.
I hope you enjoy!